Please submit a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by April 22nd, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
The mission of Warming Room Community Ministries (WRCM) is to nurture a community that challenges homelessness, food insecurity, and social exclusion in the City of Peterborough by responding to immediate needs, breaking down barriers amongst us and advocating for systemic change.
Acknowledging our mission, our staff are a kind, thoughtful, and eclectic team that are intentional in pursuing a vision for a more just world. This is emotionally challenging work. WRCM requires individuals who bring their whole selves to this hard and rewarding role.
Ministry Position Title
Overnight Supervisor, The Warming Room
Term of Office:Starting April 28 2019 (Indefinite). Hiring 3-4 individuals, between 3.5 and 24 hours a week.
Supervision and Support
This position reports to the Warming Room Community Ministries Director and Warming Room Program Coordinator. The committee responsible for this ministry is the Warming Room Community Ministries Steering Committee.
Purpose of the position
The Overnight Supervisor’s role is to oversee the running of the Warming Room on a nightly basis, empowering volunteers, building relationships with guests, and looking after nightly operations.
People who have found themselves homeless from ages 18 and up.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Build trusting relationships with guests and volunteers.
- Appropriately support guests and potential guests in finding safe, affordable, and appropriate housing.
- Work with Warming Room Community Ministries staff to empower guests to reach goals.
- When appropriate, guide guests through a consent signing and VI SPDAT process.
- Facilitate interactions between visiting agencies and guests during Warming Room hours.
- Administer harm reduction kits.
- Empower volunteers during their shifts.
- Oversee the distribution of food at Warming Room.
- Oversee the set-up and clean up every night.
- Resolve conflicts that may arise.
- Keep bedding and supplies organized.
- Receive and organize in-kind donations
- Complete all necessary reports, including in relation to guests, volunteers, incidents and statistics.
- Keep track of what supplies are needed.
- Make sure laundry is done on a regular basis.
- Assist in overseeing and training of placement students.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.Attend additional staff trainings and read supplied materials.
- Attend orientation and debrief.
- Assist in other duties as needed.
Skills, Experience and Qualities Required
- A passion to work with marginalized people.
- A compassionate outlook and caring disposition.
- Strong interpersonal skills, good listening skills, ability to build relationships easily.
- A willingness to grow and learn.A strong sense of self-awareness, of strengths, weaknesses.
- Training and/or experience in working with marginalized people.
- An ability to communicate with both church and non-church communities.
- A continued striving to embody the values of the Warming Room.
- An ability to communicate well with people.
- Experience in working with volunteers.
- The ability to set and maintain personal and professional boundaries.
- The ability to take initiative as well as work in a team environment.
- The ability to work nights.
- Exposure to many hazards e.g., infection, violence, harsh weather conditions, bed bugs, mould, blood, excrement, working alone, slips trips and falls, uncontrolled substances and other.
- It is important that the employee be able to identify hazards, have the knowledge and training to handle any situation.
- WRCM programs are busy environments that can be frequently noisy and interruptive. Requires excellent organizational, time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
A general knowledge of systemic causes and issues around homelessness in Canada, Ontario and Peterborough.Some understanding of addictions, and harm reduction approaches to serving those with addictions.A knowledge and acceptance of the mission and values that guide the Warming Room Community Ministries.A general understanding of volunteer empowerment and engagement.
Support, Supervision and Evaluation:
Annual performance reviews will be conducted by the supervisors.Participation in regular Warming Room staff meetings.Staff retreats to build relationships with other staff and to be recharged and refreshed.
Limits of the position
Comply with the Responsible Ministry: Screening in Faith Policy, Diocese of Toronto’s Sexual Misconduct Policy and must clear CPIC check.Comply with all policies governing confidentiality.
Terms of work/service
Commencing April 28 2019
Amount of hours vary between 3.5 and 24. Hours can be anytime between 9 PM and 930 AM, plus daytime staff meetings and trainings. We will work with successful candidates to create a regular, ongoing schedule.
$18.50 hourly less deductions
Two weeks paid vacation per calendar year
Three days paid sick leave per calendar year
Medical insurance benefits are not available with this position
Position-specific training (pre-requisite)
In-Service training (on-going as needed)
Diocesan Sexual Misconduct training
Position Risk Assessment
Benefits & Opportunities
To be a part of making a difference for marginalized people in Peterborough
To be a part of changing the conversation around poverty in Peterborough.
To play a key role in developing the gifts and service potential of volunteers
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.50 /hour