Please submit your application by April 22th 2019 at 5:00 PM by email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a CV as well as a cover letter including why you are a good fit for this position. Please include availability for an interview between April 22 and 26.
The mission of Warming Room Community Ministries (WRCM) is to nurture a community that challenges homelessness, food insecurity, and social exclusion in the City of Peterborough by responding to immediate needs, breaking down barriers amongst us and advocating for systemic change.
Acknowledging our mission, our staff are a kind, thoughtful, and eclectic team that are intentional in pursuing a vision for a more just world. This is emotionally challenging work. WRCM requires individuals who bring their whole selves to this hard and rewarding role.
Term of Office
Indefinite – Commencing As Soon As Possible
Supervision and Support
This position reports to the One Roof Community Centre Program Coordinator and Warming Room Community Ministries Director.
Purpose of the position:
The Kitchen Supervisor’s role is to work with and empower volunteers to create a nutritious, delicious meal for a large group of people who struggle with food security.
People of all ages who have found themselves food insecure.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise safe preparation of weekend meals by volunteers
- Supervise safe preparation of weekend meals by Meal Teams
- Participate in training and supervision of kitchen volunteers and placement students
- Participate in development of opportunities for guest and volunteer engagement in preparation of meals
- Develop policies and procedures for kitchen tasks
- Maintain record of recipes, menus used
- Develop new menu and recipe options
- Attend weekly staff meeting
- Manage and source food and production-related supplies, inventory and donations
- As required, coordinate food production with other meal and food-related training programs operating from One Roof
- Minimize waste
Skills, Experience and Qualities Required
- A passion to work with marginalized people.
- A compassionate outlook and caring disposition.
- Strong interpersonal skills, good listening skills, ability to build relationships easily.
- A willingness to grow and learn.
- A strong sense of self-awareness, of strengths, weaknesses.
- A continued striving to embody the values of the Warming Room.
- An ability to communicate well with people.
- Experience in working with volunteers.
- The ability to set and maintain personal and professional boundaries.
- The ability to take initiative as well as work in a team environment.
- Strong meal preparation and kitchen management skills.
- The ability to plan menus for large groups of people.
- A knowledge and acceptance of the mission and values that guide the Warming Room Community Ministries.
- A general understanding of volunteer empowerment and engagement.
- A strong knowledge of food preparation, food handling health and safety practices.
- Current Safe Food Handling certification.
- A strong understanding of kitchen management.
- Some knowledge of systemic causes and issues around homelessness in Canada, Ontario and Peterborough.
- Some understanding of addictions, and harm reduction approaches to serving those with addictions.
Support, Supervision and Evaluation
- Annual performance reviews will be conducted by the Program Coordinator and/or Director.
- Participation in regular staff meetings.
- Staff retreats to build relationships with other staff and to be recharged and refreshed.
Limits of the position
- Comply with the Responsible Ministry: Screening in Faith Policy, Diocese of Toronto’s Sexual Misconduct Policy and must clear CPIC check.
- Comply with all policies governing confidentiality.
- Comply with Peterborough Public Health Food Handlers protocols.
Terms of work/service
- Saturdays and Sundays from 2 PM to 8 PM
- (Possibility of other relief shifts available, but no guarantee)
- Two weeks paid vacation per calendar year
- Three paid sick days per calendar year
- $18.50/hour, less deductions required by law
- Exposure to many hazards e.g., infection, violence, harsh weather conditions, bed bugs, mould, blood, excrement, working alone, slips trips and falls, uncontrolled substances and other.
- It is important that the employee be able to identify hazards, have the knowledge and training to handle any situation.
- WRCM programs are busy environments that can be frequently noisy and interruptive. Requires excellent organizational, time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
- Position-specific training (pre-requisite)
- In-Service training (ongoing as needed)
- Diocesan Sexual Misconduct training
- Food Handlers Training (pre-requisite)
Benefits & Opportunities
- To be a part of making a difference for marginalized people in Peterborough.
- To be a part of changing the conversation around poverty in Peterborough.
- To play a key role in developing the gifts and service potential of volunteers
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18.50 /hour